 Off-Topic / Debate / 28576
Re: We Should've Listened to Dick Cheney
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 01:13:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   This guy sounds like he really knows what he’s talking about. Too bad he doesn’t have any influence over U.S. foreign policy today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENbElb5-xY

I confess that in 1901 I said to my brother Orville that man would not fly for fifty years. Two years later we ourselves made flights. This demonstration of my impotence as a prophet gave me such a shock that ever since I have distrusted myself and avoided all predictions.

Wilbur Wright (1867-1912) (In a speech to the Aero Club of France, Nov 5, 1908)

The difference is that Cheney’s prediction in 1994 was *exactly* correct. Current events clearly show that invading Iraq without broad support from our allies resulted in a quagmire.

Ahh, thanks for dusting off and bringing the Q word into the discussion! If you think that any of the homicide bombers over the years would have reconsidered their actions because there had been broad support for the invasion of Iraq, you are mistaken. Clearly we are winning in Iraq as evidenced by the disgusting actions of homicide bombers who target innocents. They know that they cannot stand up to the military might of the US, so they prey on innocent Iraqi women and children, hoping that Iraqis will blame our presence, instead of their own inhumanity for their savagery.

   Are you saying that in 2003 Cheney was so certain of his “impotence as a prophet” that he figured he must have been wrong and we’d be greeted with flowers instead? How would he know which one of his prophesies to believe? And in any case, how does that qualify him to be second in command of this once-great nation?

Once-great nation? Please.

   Why is it that some people will defend these slimebags

“These slimebags”? Let me guess: anyone with an (R) after their name?

   even in the face of undeniable evidence of their gross incompetence and criminal negligence?

Which “undeniable evidence” is that, exactly? “Gross incompetence”? (Cite?) Criminal negligence? The charges are what, again?

Even if things go right in Iraq, you will never accept it anyway, so this whole discussion is rather mute. I betting that you’re still fuming about the 2000 election.....

JOHN