 Off-Topic / Debate / 28331
Re: USA vs. UK pay differences
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:11:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ted Godwin wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   “The minimum wage in the UK is roughly $10/hr USD against the US’s $5.15/hr.”

In other words, the average American is poorer than the average Briton, and therefore less able to pay the same prices for the same product.

Not neccessarily true. You cannot make a broad generalization simply based on the average wage in dollars. The average American pays less for everything than the average Brit so may or may not be “poorer” in material goods and access to services.

I wish I’d paid attention to the few discussions of logic I have attended. I am sure there is a fancy latin phrase to describe your error.

Of course relative buying power plays a big point. I earn approximately half of my British counterpart, but my house, food, etc costs half as much as well. My point is that comparing British to American at strict monetary conversation rates doesn’t make sense, which is what many Europeans have tended to do when complaining about how their sets are more expensive than American sets.

-Lenny