 Off-Topic / Debate / 28328
Re: USA vs. UK pay differences
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:31:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In other words, the average American is poorer than the average Briton, and therefore less able to pay the same prices for the same product.

If you’re suggesting that Lego pricing is due to income levels of citizens, I don’t think that’s the case. Some of the issues (as I’ve been told from people in Lego and outside of Lego) are:

1) People in Europe are willing to pay more for toys (and goods in general), whereas Americans are cheap-o’s. Americans are perfectly happy to get crappy 3rd rate merchandise from places like Wal*Mart BECAUSE they’re cheap.

2) Americans are unwilling to pay much in the way of markup. They drastically undervalue the service of middlemen. Americans have very little concept for “reasonable” profit. If a car costs $8000 to manufacture, they often assume that they “ought” to pay $8000 for it, or maybe even $9000.

3) The US is considered a “growing” market. So Lego wants to maintain a presence there because they know it’s a *potentially* valuable market base, even though they don’t make a lot of profit there (relatively speaking).

4) Lego in the US is up against a large share of competitors, unlike in Europe, where it’s typically more dominated by Lego. And, Lego’s US competitors are made more cheaply than Lego, and are sold at lower costs.

DaveE