 Off-Topic / Debate / 28241
Re: I don't think the Southern Baptist *Anyone* can say *anything* about *anyone else*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 20:11:30 GMT

   http://us.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/07/giuliani.baptists.ap/index.html

“ NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- A Southern Baptist leader said Tuesday that evangelical voters might tolerate a divorced presidential candidate, but they have deep doubts about GOP hopeful Rudy Giuliani, who has been married three times. ”

Yeah, and i have deep doubts about the Southern Baptist institutions with regards to ‘walking the walk’ when we consider how *some* of their ‘leaders’ have ‘fallen from grace’ lately.

Why don’t these southern baptist leaders start worrying about the planks in their own eyes before they go all ‘holy roller’ over Rudy’s divorces.

Well, you are implying that one needs to be perfect to criticize, which I don’t think is fair. But I will say that I don’t think that particular issue has anything to do with the job for which Wudy is wunning.

I read it later and I should have specified that--one does *not* need to be perfect to criticise. However, people pointing out that Rudy is *bad* because of his divorces (however public they may have been) when they themselves have sexual immorality skeletons out in the open...

It’s like someone yapping about not smoking cigarettes when they smoke crack themselves.

   Yet one more reason why I have no interest at all in organized religion anymore.

One bad apple (or bushel;-) don’t spoil the whole bunch, girl (But it will cost you $3,500 to chat with one in particular for 30 seconds!)

:)

   Though this is jsut my opinion.

You know, Dave, there are plenty of amazing people with their heads totally on straight in organized religion. You should focus on them, and perhaps your opinion might change. The half empty, half full thing.

My personal experience with spiritual people is second-to-none (I include you in that group, btw). I’ve also been blessed thru my life with pastors, preachers, and padres that have been exemplary examples of the ecclesiastical communitry.

That said, from personal experience, the institutions are (mostly) immovable on specific dogmas--unwieldy in spite of the laws of nature and society surrounding the church proper.

Once, a long time ago, I attended and was a ‘professing’ member of denomination ‘X’. For whatever physical locale changes happeining in my life, I started attending church ‘Y’ on a regular basis, and at a point I had to make a decision to ‘transfer my membership’. Well, when I asked, I couldn’t because Church ‘X’ has this policy that Church ‘Y’ aren’t really God believing Christians because the allow the ordination of homosexuals.

Excuse me? That’s why I can’t trnasfer my membership?

Church ‘X’ also had a problem with ‘women in office’ as well--no female preachers, deacons or elders. That’s always a good thing--telling half of your congregation that they are subservient.

But again, this wasn’t a ‘one-off’. I could get started on catholocism, or many other things that jsut don’t jive where ‘church proper’ meets the real world’ is concerned.

And added to that is the fallibility of the preachers--again, everyone’s fallable (I, of all people, know that with my huge list of skeletons in my closet that we shan’t delve into at this time)--that, on Sunday are preaching fire & brimstone to dem dar homosexuals, yet on Monday to Saturday are involved *somehow* (whether it be as ‘benign as ‘web sex’ or as outrageous as clandestine rendezvouses at the local ‘rub ‘n tug’...

I’m sorry--from what pulpit can you preach about the unworthiness of others?

And even *if* a person’s completely ‘sinless’ (and we’re told that, well, no one here is), that still does not give them thr *right* to point out to Rudy that he may be unworthy to run for political office due to his divorces.

Jesus *never* did that, and He’s suppose to be the example.

So when the ‘followers of Christ’ actually, you know, start acting like followers of Christ, then I won’t have to state ‘hypocricy’.

This is what I liked about the padres I knew personally. I don’t recall their sermons or poignant stories ‘singling out’ a race/creed/colour/sexual orientation and how ‘whatever’ is evil. They did, however, talk about social justice and community conscience.

That’s why I asked my preacher from 1972 to 1980s-ish to be the padre at our wedding a few months ago. I have great respect for him and his ‘methods’ of bringing God’s glory to the masses. Can’t easily say that for the preachers in the news.

JOHN

Dave K