 Off-Topic / Debate / 27941
Re: Two questions for the Conservatives and/or Republicans out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 19:49:34 GMT

   John, are looking for evidence that the 2000 and 2004 elections were stolen (and for which abundant evidence exists)? Or are you looking for evidence of subsequent lies, distortions, and exaggerations by the Bush administration (for which abundant evidence exists)?

Let us know, and I’ll see what I can provide.

Well, what I meant to say was: if there is such conclusive evidence out there, then where are the indictments? I know that there is a lot of speculative evidence, but nothing that would hold up in a court of law.

Of course, such indictments would ideally be brought by the justice department, hand-picked by Bush. Additionally, no Congressional investigations can occur (at least, not ones with subpoena power) without the blessing of the majority party.

   You, of all people, have taught me the perils of arguing by assertion, Dave!

Unless I’m the one doing the asserting, of course, because my word is law.

   It is my simple assumption that if there were any kind of a case, someone would have brought it by now.

Not necessarily. The charge has been made by numerous independent bodies, but the ones empowered to do anything about it have been curiously silent. They haven’t even done an investigation, for pity’s sake! At the very least, it would be appropriate to look into the massive irregularities, almost all of which benefited Bush. Incidentally, the chance that all the irregularities would favor a single candidate is very close to zero--that oddity alone should merit an investigation, but not under this Congress...

If a similar pattern of nothing-to-see-here-ism had gone on under Clinton, I honestly don’t think that Conservatives would be as willing to shrug and look the other way.

Dave!