 Off-Topic / Debate / 27930
Re: Two questions for the Conservatives and/or Republicans out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 17:18:47 GMT

   Do you trust Diebold’s touchscreen-based voting machines to record an accurate tally of votes?

Why?

Why not, Dave!? There can’t be cheating if the machines could be rigged so that it doesn’t know which candidates are under which button (if that is your concern).

That only assumes that the machine can’t rig it during the individual vote. Once the votes are cast and the moderator goes to the machine, how do we verify that Candidate A really got 7,500 votes and Candidate B really got 2,500?

   It would be like a double-blind study. Surely you aren’t implying that the technology doesn’t exist to competently carry out the task

Oh, I don’t doubt that it exists, but I’m close to 100% certain that technology likewise exists to mess with the totals invisibly during the whole process

   Or, how about this: I enter my SS#, I enter my vote. That way there is a permanent record of how I voted. But then, that could be seen as an invasion of privacy, so the permanent record thing might not be such a hot idea (except for threatening elementary children of course;-)

That’s not a permanent record, though, unless the machine produces a verifiable, certified paper receipt. Lacking that, and lacking a way to re-verify one’s vote after the fact, the machines shouldn’t be trusted.

   I guess the bottom line is whether one trusts our government.

I don’t think that’s the bottom line at all! The issue is whether or not one trusts a secretive, Conservative-friendly corporation that refuses to submit its machines or software for objective testing, and whose machines and software have been repeatedly demonstrated to be highly vulnerable to undetectable and invisible hacking and alteration.

   I know it is crazy to do so, but at the same time, it is crazy not to have a certain level of it. For instance, giving our military all of the stuff that can blow up the earth and trusting that they don’t actually do it.

Time will tell. I mean, a good many parents trusted our esteemed legislators to serve as responsible mentors in the Congressional “Page Program,” and look where that got us.

Trust the government only as far as you can verify it. Anything that goes on behind closed doors (such as pretty much the entirety of the Bush administration) must be suspect. More than any other process of government, the electoral process must be transparent and subject to objective review at every step.

If, when the votes are counted in November, it turns out that Democrats took every contested seat in the House and Senate, would you say “Diebold counted everything accurately” or would you call for an investigation? Well, too bad in that case, because Diebold has fought to ensure that no such investigation is possible.

Dave!

Crazy to think that the Liberal is arguing for greater transparency and the Conservative is arguing for secrecy. These are strange days, indeed!

Well, I am not beholden to Diebold for anything. It seems to me that the bottom line is that you don’t trust them, not the equipment they produce. Companies will always have some bias, either left or right; that is a given. What doesn’t follow is that because of that bias, they will act nefariously to benefit their political POV. What is more likely is that they will act nefariously to “keep the gig”. The solution would be to keep the process competitive so that the incentive is accurate performance, or face losing the contract.

I like your idea of transparency, but OTOH, I can understand why Diebold is reluctant to give up IP (every company would balk IMO). In thinking about the electronic process of voting; yeah, there are opportunities for skullduggery, but surely those same opportunities and ten times more currently exist and have always existed. We have just always assumed that things worked out fairly. What happened in FL in 2000 is probably a lot more common than we care to realize.

Whatever process we use, the interred will, in all probability, continue to vote (at least in Chicago, anyway)

JOHN