 Off-Topic / Debate / 27501
Re: Does God Have A Name For God?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:35:43 GMT

   For that matter, doesn’t one of the Gospels (or several of them) indicate that Christ departed for other lands to spread the Word? Why must these “lands” mean nations?

Hi Dave! Glad to see that your prose is as eloquent now as it was five long years ago. You should get paid by the word, if you ask me. And how did you get to be such exquisite fashion sense?

Anyway, I think I’ve found that passage you were talking about. Feast your eyes on John, Chapter 10:

I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

Granted, it doesn’t explicity say “aliens,” but it clearly talks about sheep “not of this sheep pen.” Sort of resonates with “not of this Earth,” don’t you think?

First let me say that you are not crazy if you talk to yourself, Dave! (But you are if you listen;-)

I think Jesus is clearly referring to Jews and Gentiles here. The sheep in the pen are God’s chosen people, the Jews. But Jesus is obviously acknowledging that He came to serve Gentiles as well. And perhaps non Jews not of this earth? Maybe you are on to something, and maybe one day we will all read about it in the Gospel according to Dave!

JOHN