 Off-Topic / Debate / 27154
Re: The Basis of Nazism, was Re: Schpiffkraft Hakenkreuz
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 00:23:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   Of course hatred is just a perverted form of love,

Hmmm, now that is an interesting take. Care to expound?

There is an old saying that I enjoy: “The opposite of love is not hate, it is apathy.”

What love and hate have in common is that are a deeply passionate caring about someone else. “Caring” in the sense of concern/wonder about what happens to someone else - including both negative and positive concern.

For example, my emotions relating to my wife will always be passionate and intense. But if she were to betray me and sleep with my best friend, those emotions would turn from passionate-positive (love) to passionate-negative (hate).

Does this make sense?

Hmmm. You say that love and hate are not opposites, but isn’t that exactly what “passionate-“positive” (love) to passionate-“negative” (hate)” is? The opposite of apathy would be passion, not hatred, in my view. If something has an opposite, then the opposite’s opposite should be that something; no?

Both love and hate are strong emotions, but I don’t think that that similarity necessarily means that one derives from the other, but I do agree that examples of such could be cited (as you did).

If you can’t parse what I’m trying to say, hold on-- hopefully my thoughts will once again be crystallized by Dave! :-)

JOHN