 Off-Topic / Debate / 26679
  Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!

(...) I have to admit I'm kind of suprised at the terminology. I've heard that same sort of reference quite a bit (calling liberals/left-wingers/etc "intellectual" or "educated"), and I always expect some other sort of more derrogatory phrase to (...) (19 years ago, 30-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!

(...) Are you kidding? Dave! (19 years ago, 30-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!

(...) Not at all! The first human reaction to that which is out of our control is to control or predict it. Understand it. Particularly if it's important to us. Understanding why the grass is green, for instance, is of far less importance to (...) (19 years ago, 30-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!

(...) Well, that's a big difference! I have no more fear of the Lord of the Bible than I have of the (URL) of the Dance> (and maybe less). I similarly don't fear Bigfoot, the Easter Bunny, or Paul Bunyan. Rather than equivocating on some overlap (...) (19 years ago, 30-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!

(...) That's true, which is why I didn't say "that's exactly correct!". But in thinking about human evolution, a very early step (and not necessarily the first, depending on what you call steps versus qualifications, or transition states or (...) (19 years ago, 30-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!

(...) To be fair, you did say "I guess that's right," without disclaiming a whole lot of wiggle room. I can accept your more elaborate articuation below, but I hope you can see that my response wasn't inappropriate given your initially apparent (...) (19 years ago, 30-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!

(...) Well, my initial response was something a bit more argumentative. But when I started thinking about it, I realized there were some interpretations of the statement that I found I agreed with. So I erased my 2 paragraphs and wound up with a (...) (19 years ago, 30-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  These are the Daves I know Was some other debate

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote: <snip> . Arguing is so much more fun :) (...) Do all Daves consider arguing fun? Or is that just the Daves around here? Dave K (19 years ago, 30-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: These are the Daves I know Was some other debate

(...) It's better with music: (URL) (19 years ago, 30-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: These are the Daves I know Was some other debate

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Rob Doucette wrote: Hey! What's a "Rob" doing in this thread? (...) ---...--- Too Many Daves ---...--- Did I ever tell you that Mrs McCave had twenty-three sons and named them all Dave? Well, she did. And that wasn't a (...) (19 years ago, 30-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote: <snip> (...) Merely because a person knows a lot about quantum mechanics or is an expert on pottery from the Ming Dynasty doesn't make them any wiser than an old hayseed from Tennessee. I mean, wasn't (...) (19 years ago, 30-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!

(...) Well, I totally agree, but that's really just saying that the two are unrelated. Which is fine. Wisdom =/= Intelligence. But I just kinda find it sad that the connatation forming on the Right is that "Intelligence = Bad/Unwise/Evil". (...) (19 years ago, 30-Mar-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)