 Off-Topic / Debate / 26048
  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Sir, I do hate (or strongly dislike) the results of these actions. Can you honestly tell me that you enjoy (or would enjoy) painting over permanent marks on the walls, changing poopy diapers, and scrubbing vomit out of the carpet, in and of (...) (20 years ago, 25-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) hmm..."superstition-N. 1. Belief in the suernatureal;irrational fear of the unknwon. 2. Pracice, belief or religion based on this" "Natural-N 1a. Existing in or caused by nature. (skipped a few) 8.Physically existing." OED Therefore, from a (...) (20 years ago, 25-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

Allow me to say: 1. It is the connotation of the word "superstition" that is unfair, not the strict definition itself. All book knowledge must be tempered with common sense. Othewise, I would not argue with your point here. 2. Everything is opinion (...) (20 years ago, 25-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Yes it is tempered with common sense. What you are saying (that god exists, that he will punish gays) is not proveable. Therefore, you have a superstition that this is what will happen. No proof, no evidence in favour of it. If you have (...) (20 years ago, 25-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Insisting to have one's way at the undue expense of even a single person is bad, even if you're part of the majority. Figuring out who is bearing the greater burden is the tricky part, and in this case, preventing a group to speak freely of (...) (20 years ago, 25-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

Andrew, Two things: First, you're absolutely right in calling me one of the people stating opinion as fact. And I do know that I'm right. And please believe me when I tell you that I wish, more than almost anything else, that I was skilled enough at (...) (20 years ago, 26-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) That's not how you phrased the point, initially. You presented these actions in the context of a baby's actions, and that's how I addressed them. If you wish to change the question at this time, then you must either address or cede the (...) (20 years ago, 27-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) This brings up an idea that has been through my head on several occasions - if you use the definition "part of nature" for natural, then what can be defined as unnatural? After all, everything on this earth has been created by nature, either (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Well, everything that exists operates within the laws of nature, that doesn't mean it was created through natural processes. The natural ingredients and know-how that create a chemical concoction are natural, but the concoction itself isn't (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Natural (was: Why...)

(...) Well, that's how I was leaning too, ie natural = occurs without human intervention. However, I have often heard the argument Dave used above, which seems to contradict that, or at least not fit it exactly. And I don't think I've ever seen a (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) The term has invested with the connotation that I don't think it should have, honestly. In practice, the word tends to mean "altered by human intervention," but this definition is valid only if we declare that humans are not part of nature, or (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) I think your definition makes a lot of sense but the problem is that it doesn't give a distinguishing metric. (I've used that to great advantage when arguing against those that argue against "artificial flavours" for example). That said, what (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) **snip** (...) Here's a sweetheart of a quote that I can believe I forgot to mention: "I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) You're citing Jefferson? You consider him "good company"? I'll have to remember that. :-) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) I may be misunderstanding you, but are you identifying the lack of a point of distinction (between natural and unnatural or natural and artificial) as the problem? I'm not clear on this objection, I'm afraid. (...) Yeah, I guess it's a matter (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) I've approached Jefferson several times with sure-fire business propositions, but he never returns my calls. Something about "entangling alliances." Dave! (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) This is sort of how I feel. Of course it does seem to make unnatural a less useful term. Even supernatural is a difficult term, though it's use to separate God from God's creation (assuming you accept the existence of a creator god, or a (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  It's only natural (Was Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) A problem for the other side, I guess, but yes, a problem. I know what the organic crowd is trying to get at, they'd rather not see manufactured banana flavourings in their milkshakes for example, and I know what the "homosexuality isn't (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: It's only natural (Was Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Well the only musical reference that comes to mind is the song "It's Only Natural" by Crowded House. Did they have an album of that name too? ROSCO FUT: .o-t.fun (20 years ago, 29-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: It's only natural (Was Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Which is on the album "Woodface" IIRC. ROSCO (20 years ago, 29-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)