 Off-Topic / Debate / 26077
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:20:25 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney wrote:

   Here is my opinion, restated:

Nature, by definition, cannot produce or do anything that is unnatural. Humans are part of nature and are therefore natural. By definition, humans cannot produce or do anything that is unnatural.

Alternatively, can you propose an argument showing how humans either are unnatural or can produce/do something that is unnatural?

I think your definition makes a lot of sense but the problem is that it doesn’t give a distinguishing metric. (I’ve used that to great advantage when arguing against those that argue against “artificial flavours” for example).

I may be misunderstanding you, but are you identifying the lack of a point of distinction (between natural and unnatural or natural and artificial) as the problem? I’m not clear on this objection, I’m afraid.

   That said, what about a definition that distinguishes things that arise from environmental processes (coal deposits for example) versus things that arise from intelligent manipulation (bakelite made from coal tar in a chemical plant for example). (This avoids the question of where intelligence came from).

Yeah, I guess it’s a matter of how inclusive one chooses to be. If one accepts that intelligence is a part of nature, then my formulation stands. If one asserts that intelligence is outside of nature, then the distinction between natural and crafted-by-intelligence is valid, but I’d need to see the evidence that intelligence is unnatural (or supernatural, or paranatural, or whatever term is appropriate).

   Things that arise from instinct need to get sorted one way or another, so you have to make a call as to where beaver dams, lion dens and cliff swallow dwellings fit, for example.

Tough call. One might offer as an example the line of small pebbles neatly organized on the seashore due to the motion of the waves, but this is generally accepted to happen through purely physical processes (e.g., shape, weight, size, texture of the stones, etc.) rather than by animal-based sorting. I have trouble finding a clear point of distinction between instinctive process and intelligent process, especially considering that I’m hardly an disinterested, objective assessor!

   That definition gives you a pretty good sense of what artificial is. However it may well sift too far. An organic fruit brought to market via horse drawn carriage and never refrigerated is nevertheless not “natural” under that definition. So maybe it’s no use either.

On the other side of the coin, a post-human society in the far future might excavate a field and discover a long-buried plastic jug. With no way to identify the jug as “artificial,” the post-human excavator might declare it to have been formed by unknown but natural means.

   Not sure that helps at all, after all.

I think it does help, because it invites further examination of the claim, which can only be helpful, IMO!

Dave!