 Off-Topic / Debate / 26075
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:08:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Andrew Engstrom wrote:

   First of all, homosexuality is not a bad thing, at least not by any objective standard not beholden to superstition.

**snip**

   Also, it is unfair to equate others’ beliefs with superstition. This puts your opinion at the level of “infallible truth” and (intolerantly) forces people to either agree with you or risk your repudiation for any deviance from your perception of the truth.

Here’s a sweetheart of a quote that I can believe I forgot to mention:

“I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded upon fables and mythologies” (Letter to Dr. Woods).

From none other than Thomas Jefferson. Obviously, it is fallacious to use a quotation in place of argument, but my point has been argued already, so the quote is something of an afterthought. Still, it’s nice to see that my assessment finds good company.

Dave!