 Off-Topic / Debate / 26050
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 05:34:21 GMT

   First of all, homosexuality is not a bad thing, at least not by any objective standard not beholden to superstition.

Sir, the fallacies of your thinking are unfathomable. You deliberately slur my example with the facts of real life; I say this because I know that you are an intelligent human being capable of logical thought. And in case you aren’t, let me clarify: the term “BAD” was meant to apply only to my illustration of my point.

Also, it is unfair to equate others’ beliefs with superstition. This puts your opinion at the level of “infallible truth” and (intolerantly) forces people to either agree with you or risk your repudiation for any deviance from your perception of the truth. Please see my reply to David Laswell (http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=26047) for a further explanation of this point.

hmm...“superstition-N. 1. Belief in the suernatureal;irrational fear of the unknwon. 2. Pracice, belief or religion based on this”

“Natural-N 1a. Existing in or caused by nature. (skipped a few) 8.Physically existing.”

OED

Therefore, from a well established source, one could reasonably draw a conclusion that what you are saying is you believe in a superstition, that of religion in general, and more specifically in one form or another of Christianity. because you cannot prove the existance of your supposed god.

You are entitled to believe all you want, but you are not necessarily right. (and, by the same token, I may not be right either...but my worldview allows me this option, and yours does not. Emperically, I don’t believe in god. If the evidence appears to support him, then I can change my hypothisis and believe...there is nothing wrong with that as a world view according to science, rather than based on religion)

   If a belief is in conflict with a material fact, or if that belief is supported by no empirical evidence, then the person who holds that belief is not believing; he’s pretending. I’ll accept that you have a right to pretend whatever you want to pretend, but that doesn’t give you the right to force other people to accept what you’ve pretended.

Sir, do you consider your opinion exempt from this? Are you superior to all other human beings? If you would present these alleged “material facts” without asserting that your opinion is fact, we should be happy to review it objectively. Otherwise, stop asserting such preposterous notions! Please review my reply to David on this subject.

No, in exactly the method that I show above. We are open to the possiblity of being wrong, but are not holding our breaths to be proven wrong. Your world view, pretension, or belief does not allow you this option. If I am wrong, I am willing to face the potential consequences of my actions...actions have consequences for every thing we choose to do.

   One of the major arguments for homosexuality is that it’s simply a lifestyle choice.

If humans do it, then it’s natural. Nothing humans can do or conceive of doing is unnatural. Certain humans may find objectionable the actions of certain other humans, but that doesn’t make those actions unnatural.

Another opinion. Do not make the mistake of stating opinion as fact. State it as opinion. Until you do, it is very difficult to take seriously any argument you make.

See the above quote from OED. It is natural, at least in accordance with the definition of the word according to a regular, normally available reference book on the english language. This is a fact, in accordance with the definition above being acceptable to the majority of people, which it should be, since by definition that is what the word can mean.

Equally true is that incest is natural. It might not be desireable, or legal, or good in any way, but it is natural.

So too is your belief system- you and your friends have caused it to exist in a physical form.

It was not an opinion, but a statement that is true. It doesn’t mean that you have to like it, but you should accept that it is a true statement.

James Powell