 Off-Topic / Debate / 26049
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:22:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Andrew Engstrom wrote:

   I’m sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to macro-evolution (change from one species to another), not micro-evolution (change within a species). Micro-evolution has been proved countless times--your illustration is a prime example. Macro-evolution has never been “proven,” by definition. Now, a disclaimer. I don’t want to start a tangent discussion on the factuality of evolution in this thread. I would be happy to see a civil, logical discussion of it in another, seperate thread.

“Macro-Evolution” is a term used by pseudo-scientists. Inasmuch as evolution is merely change within a species over a very long time to the point that that species can no longer produce viable offspring with a former member of the same species (and then that new species slowly changes, etc. etc.), you have have described pretty much the entirety of evolution. The amusing mistake that the pseudo-science you are quoting need to move up their claim to at least the Genus level, but then, they usually are so umfamiliar with science, they don’t know better (and yet they think they have the answers).

-->Bruce<-- Green-Eyed Darwin’s...ummm..,Devil’s Advocate