 Off-Topic / Debate / 26047
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:55:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
   Hmmm... I think the so-called “homophobes” are simply frustrated with having a decision made for them and then forced upon them. It is their right as a human being to decide what they want to believe and what they don’t want to believe.

Yes, until they try to dictate the behavior of others based on their own sense of morality.

Agreed, sir, but my point is simply that these people feel this way, whether they are being oppressed or not, and that is what they are reacting to.

   Their freedom to be trumps your freedom to not see.

Again, I agree, but in every case in life (not just this), a judgement call has to be made somewhere. Everyone, without exception, has an opinion on where the line must be drawn.

   I can say right now that other people in this thread prominently display that they believe they are the source of infallible truth.

Like you? The sword cuts both ways.

Sir, I never claimed to be. I’m simply stating my observations of how people should politely debate this topic. Dave Schuler has demanded that I name names. I thought I would refrain from this in order to be respectful and unaccusing. If you want names, these people have made my point for me very clearly in the following excerpts.

Dave Schuler:

   Then you’ve been lucky not to have been exposed to reality, since you have > been given such an inadequate set of tools for dealing with it.

Chris Weeks:

   Look Jason, I can’t help it that you’re wrong. (In reference to Jason’s opinion)

as well as...

   Jason, we’ll know when you’ve been “bombarded with it” enough when you accept homosexuality as a perfectly acceptable alternative to the majority sexual preference. Until that time, you need more exposure...even re- education.

and...

   Screw them!

Even Jason is guilty of this at some times:

   the homosexual agenda uses the media to force its views on society.

These are all people’s opinions, but when they are expressed in such a harsh and agressive manner, people tend to dislike and/or retaliate against the speaker.

   This is what upsets them, not the fact that people are gay.

As I’ve said before, the world assumes heterosexuality, so if they don’t say anything, they’re misidentified.

If being misidentified makes a homosexual uncomfortable, then there are deeper, underlying security issues here, but that’s not my point. I’m merely saying that this is how some people feel. I make no claims on any other point with this statement.

   This returns to your fallacy in thinking that hating an action (or lifestyle) precludes loving a person. Some people find it a hard concept to understand, but it’s really quite simple.

Hating an individual’s lifestyle makes it much harder to let any underlying love show through. And even if you’re doing so, it also makes it harder for the subject of that love to see it as genuine (if they see it at all).

Sir, I agree completely. This is something that all human beings need to work on. I make no excuses for anyone, including myself. Today I found myself letting my hate for a person’s activity taint my love for the person. Though it is simple to understand, it is a difficult value to put into practice.

   This may not be entirely true; many, many people believe that homosexuality is a choice.

Belief is not proof, and what evidence has been gathered points to it being physiological in origin, not psychological.

Sir, may I remind you that “Belief is not proof” applies to your beliefs as well as those of others. If you would present proof other than your belief that homosexuality is not a choice, I’m sure the community would be willing to examine it in a civil, objective manner.

   Supposing evolution is fact,

Evolution is fairly well proved by an island that Darwin wasn’t able to visit during his trip to the Gallapagos.

I’m sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to macro-evolution (change from one species to another), not micro-evolution (change within a species). Micro-evolution has been proved countless times--your illustration is a prime example. Macro-evolution has never been “proven,” by definition. Now, a disclaimer. I don’t want to start a tangent discussion on the factuality of evolution in this thread. I would be happy to see a civil, logical discussion of it in another, seperate thread.

   The other nice thing about that example is that it shows how just because living beings exhibiting a single genetic characteristic can die out without ever breeding, the genetic material that results in that characteristic can survive through other breeding strains.

I see your point, sir. I admit that I hadn’t taken that into consideration before. The debate over whether it is probable is something that should be reserved for another time, but you have a valid point. Thank you for pointing this out.

My intention in this follow-up post is simply that of clarifying my position. As for my original post, I’m satisfied that we’re all now using logic, instead of posting over-emotional flame posts.

Andrew