 Off-Topic / Debate / 26045
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:52:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
   Hmmm... I think the so-called “homophobes” are simply frustrated with having a decision made for them and then forced upon them. It is their right as a human being to decide what they want to believe and what they don’t want to believe.

Yes, until they try to dictate the behavior of others based on their own sense of morality. You can be a homophobe all you want, but the line is crossed when you try to restrict them from having the same freedom to participate that heteros have. They are and should be free to say that they’re dating someone of the same gender just as you are and should be free to say that you’re dating someone of the opposite gender. And you are and should be free to ignore them when they do so, just as they are and should be free to ignore you whenever you do so. Their freedom to be trumps your freedom to not see.

   Homosexuality advocates need to learn that they can’t force people to think as they do, and if they truly practice this “tolerance” they speak of, they will graciously allow other people to have their say.

S’funny, a lot of us were thinking the same thing about those who have been trying to oppress the LGBT group based on religious grounds.

   I can say right now that other people in this thread prominently display that they believe they are the source of infallible truth.

Like you? The sword cuts both ways.

   I believe his point can best be articulated like this: It’s a matter of manners; I don’t blatantly proclaim my sexuality, and I would appreciate it if you would act in a similar manner. Many people feel that the request for a LGBT newsgroup is a request for special attention/blatant proclomation of sexuality. This is what upsets them, not the fact that people are gay (1).

As I’ve said before, the world assumes heterosexuality, so if they don’t say anything, they’re misidentified.

   This returns to your fallacy in thinking that hating an action (or lifestyle) precludes loving a person. Some people find it a hard concept to understand, but it’s really quite simple.

Hating an individual’s lifestyle makes it much harder to let any underlying love show through. And even if you’re doing so, it also makes it harder for the subject of that love to see it as genuine (if they see it at all).

   This may not be entirely true; many, many people believe that homosexuality is a choice.

Belief is not proof, and what evidence has been gathered points to it being physiological in origin, not psychological.

   Supposing evolution is fact,

Evolution is fairly well proved by an island that Darwin wasn’t able to visit during his trip to the Gallapagos. It’s populated by birds whose beak size changes from year to year based on how their food supply is affected by the yearly climate. If there’s a good growing season, the plants produce large seeds and the small-beaked birds can’t crack them, so only the large-beaked birds survive to breed. If the growing season isn’t as great, they produce small seeds, and the large-beaked birds can’t get enough nourishment from them to recover the extra energy expended by carrying such large beaks around, so only the small-beaked birds survive to breed. And this entire process can and does flip-flop within the span of a single growing/breeding season.

   all homosexual creatures would have died off millions of years ago because they could never produce offspring.

The other nice thing about that example is that it shows how just because living beings exhibiting a single genetic characteristic can die out without ever breeding, the genetic material that results in that characteristic can survive through other breeding strains.