 Off-Topic / Debate / 26055
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:57:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
   Again, I agree, but in every case in life (not just this), a judgement call has to be made somewhere. Everyone, without exception, has an opinion on where the line must be drawn.

The line should always be drawn based on who is attempting to oppress another, not on whose view is “correct”. That’s the difference between preventing oppression and allowing the majority to oppress the minority.

   If being misidentified makes a homosexual uncomfortable, then there are deeper, underlying security issues here, but that’s not my point.

Knowing that you’re only being accepted on false premises is as bad as not being accepted on the right ones. Worse, actually, because it means you’re oppressing yourself in order to fit in.

   Sir, may I remind you that “Belief is not proof” applies to your beliefs as well as those of others. If you would present proof other than your belief that homosexuality is not a choice, I’m sure the community would be willing to examine it in a civil, objective manner.

I already did. The only person who responded did so by offering further examples from the animal world.

   I see your point, sir.

Yeah, about this “sir” business. I see that sprinkling that within a heated reply helps to remind the reader that you are doing your best to be respectful even if they might not be reading it that way, but I prefer not to be addressed as “sir” as it makes me feel pretentious. However, if you really feel a need to use a term of respect, may I suggest “Your Purpleness” as an alternative? ;)