 Off-Topic / Debate / 25910
Re: New poll: sexuality and Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 04:10:42 GMT

   It seems to me that being heterosexual is the default,

That’s pretty much proven by evolution, if nothing else. Heterosexual pairings can produce offspring, but homosexual ones can’t, therefore the heterosexual lifestyle is self-propogating and the homosexual one isn’t.

   and then something happens (socialization, etc), and some become gay.

Survival of the species requires diversification, and not all changes are self-propogating. Homosexuality happens to be one of them.

   There is a great deal of resistance in the scientific community to point to a “gay gene” as far as I’m aware, so it can’t be inborn entirely.

Really? Can you cite any sources on that? I’ve got one that suggests otherwise (it doesn’t specifically involve gene-tracing, but it does show a clear physiological difference), so I would think that if there is any resistence to tracking down a gene or gene sequence that leads to homosexual tendancies, it would be out of fear that such knowledge would certainly be abused.