 Off-Topic / Debate / 24657
24656  |  24658
Subject:
Reading in steep decline?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:53:07 GMT

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040708/ap_on_go_ot/reading_at_risk&e=8&ncid=718

One thing I came away with, and it doesn't offset the overall concern I feel, is
that it may not be READING that is in steep decline, it may be reading BOOKS.
One of the chief competitive sources listed was the internet.

High bandwidth streaming media aside, doesn't the use of the internet require a
*lot* of reading?

Thoughts?

(I personally think I read fewer *books* than I did in 1977, before my first
exposure to computers... but I'm not sure my total time reading has went
down...)