 Off-Topic / Debate / 24663
Re: Reading in steep decline?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:05:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
I'm not particularly troubled.  I hope to see the day when computers
have fairly direct interfaces with meat.  If/when that comes around,
people won't read at all, really.  Will that be a tragedy?

Err, do you forsee the computers of that day as more akin to the library,
or the television?  It could take the term couch potato to a whole new
level.

I think this is just a sign of progress.

On the other hand, while reading might be being given up as a less efficient
means of taking in information, I wonder if the process of reading a great deal
shapes certain cognitive abilities.  If so, what skill-set might we be losing?
And does it matter?  But that's just fairly wild speculation.

Wild, but interesting speculation.  It has all the makings of a really
good SF book.