 Off-Topic / Debate / 24667
Re: Reading in steep decline?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:31:06 GMT

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040708/ap_on_go_ot/reading_at_risk&e=8&ncid=718

One thing I came away with, and it doesn't offset the overall concern I feel, is
that it may not be READING that is in steep decline, it may be reading BOOKS.
One of the chief competitive sources listed was the internet.
High bandwidth streaming media aside, doesn't the use of the internet require a
*lot* of reading?

Thoughts?

I agree.  While training for my esteemed current vocation, I had to attend a
session re: business communication.  The central tenet was that people simply
don't correspond as much as they used to, and the lecturer cited some
letter-sent-per-person as the relevant statistic.  One of my fellow victims in
the lecture asked "What about email?"  And the lecturer replied, "Email doesn't
count as correspondence."

Huh?  Why the heck not?  That's like saying that people stopped writing
altogether when they stopped chiseling in stone, because papyrus "doesn't count"
as writing.  That's nonsense.

My only reservation would be that the quality of the writing on the Internet is
not the same as one finds in good books, but there are plenty of not-good books
out there, too, so this objection is hardly absolute...

Dave!