 Off-Topic / Debate / 24672
Re: Reading in steep decline?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:43:58 GMT

There's a well-known notion that the rise of printing led to a decline in human
memory.  Often we hear that people could recite thousand-line epics after a
single hearing, and that this amazing skill vanished with the advent of
text-based information storage.

Bollocks (if I may borrow an idiom from across the pond)!

I'd love to see the objective analysis documenting such widespread and
phenomenal memory without resorting to anecdotes or eyewitness accounts.  I
simply don't buy it.

The way I heard it was, around 1450 or so, a learned scientist did a study on
the phenomenon, which supported the claim, but since he was not really happy
with the results, his method of "publishing" was to ask his son to memorise the
whole thing to recite to leaders on demand. However, his son, who had been
wasting his life reading Forum articles and other youth timewasters, failed to
memorise it accurately, so the definitive study was lost for all time.

Or something like that.

You want objective documentation about a phenomenon that predates documentation?
Riiiiight!

(I'm KIDDING!)

Reading seems almost certain to shape cognitive development in much the same way
that language itself changes the development of the brain.  I expect that the
loss of reading as a skill or exercise will indeed result in a change in the way
the brain develops and/or functions.  Perhaps we'll lose one skill, but we'll
likely gain others in trade.

Now THAT part I agree with.

++Lar