 Off-Topic / Debate / 24669
Re: Reading in steep decline?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:27:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

Thoughts?

I'm not particularly troubled.  I hope to see the day when computers have fairly
direct interfaces with meat.  If/when that comes around, people won't read at
all, really.  Will that be a tragedy?

I think this is just a sign of progress.

On the other hand, while reading might be being given up as a less efficient
means of taking in information, I wonder if the process of reading a great deal
shapes certain cognitive abilities.  If so, what skill-set might we be losing?
And does it matter?  But that's just fairly wild speculation.

Chris

I saw an 'Outer Limits' ep about this very thing

People worldwide could 'plug into' the 'net and get any info they need
instantly.  The 'net was run by one giant 'puter.  However, there were a very
small number of people, whether due to birth defects or physical accidents, who
could not 'plug in'.  These people had to read to get their info and were
regarded as second class citizens.

In the end, turns out, as in most cases of TZ and OL, that machine=bad--the
'puter started using people as test subjects to get more data--pressure needed
for teeth to bite nails, etc.  As the tests got more severe, the 'puter had to
be stopped, but the people plugged into it were manipulated by 'puter to protect
it.  Up to those 'non connected' folk to take out 'puter.

In the end, super computer was destroyed and the 'readers' became the teachers
and leaders.

Eh, I like to read.  My grandkids probably will read less.  In the end,
evolution of society/humanity.

Dave K
-"One cannot fully appreciate Shakespeare until one reads it in the original
Klingon" - paraphrased, Star Trek 6