 Off-Topic / Debate / 24656
Re: Truth and consequences?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:36:58 GMT

It's been about nine months, and I've begun to wonder:  Why isn't Bob Novak in
jail?  I don't criticize him for protecting his informant, but whether or not
Novak reveals his source, Novak himself still violated national security by
revealing Valerie Plame's name in his column.  If Novak is so smugly confident
in his journalistic ethics, then he should have the courage of his conviction
and accept the jail sentence appropriate for compromising national security,
especially in the current Ashcroft/Ridge atmosphere of
you're-never-scared-enough.

For that matter, why the heck hasn't our impartial Justice Department found the
leak?  And, since the leak is still unidentified, how can anyone in the White
House feel comfortable discussing issues of national security with anyone else
on the staff?  After all, it's clear that *someone* can't be trusted with
classified information.

Suppose that Ken Starr's wife, for example, had been a classified agent of the
CIA.  What would have been the fallout if "some unnamed source" in the Clinton
administration had leaked Mrs. Starr's name to the press?  Would the Congress
have been as patient and casual in its quest for accountability?

Dave!

I am waiting as well.  It seems like everything else during the Dubya time in
office--hide anything and everything that might have the whiff of wrongness
about it.  If this happened on Bubba's watch, he and his administration would
have been 'run up the flagpole'.  The lengths the GOP and others went into
investigating Lewinskigate and Whitewatergate were extraordinary.  If a tenth of
that effort went into this leak, this matter would have been resolved, oh, 8 and
a half months ago.

Blatant outright hypocrisy from the GOP.

Dave K