 Off-Topic / Debate / 24593
Re: Some wins for freedom from the Supremes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:12:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:

   Apparently we are just fine with seeing our nationals taste justice American style for activities with which they were associated in a country where it was not illegal, activites which were not illegal under Australian law of the time, and under a process which would be unacceptable in Australia even under our shiny new wot laws.

Makes one proud of the lengths to which our leaders will go for our citizens, not.

Gawd! If you’re presenting an accurate view, that really is disgusting. They should have demanded their people back long ago.

Some quick research turns up that I am a little out of date - he’s been charged now. Its an interesting document.

The rest of the summary seems pretty much spot on. This seems to have been more or less the state of play before the Supreme Court’s ruling at the start of this thread.

Well, Hussein hasn’t been charged yet either, and it’s arguable whether or not he will get a “fair & open” trial, but I find it amazing how the US is falling over itself to hand him over, while the Cuba detainees sit & wait for a tribunal that will be the opposite of open.

Did the Iraqis ask to have him handed over?

ROSCO