 Off-Topic / Debate / 24269
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:44:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:

John wrote:

   As recently as three generations ago, the nuclear family as a self-contained unit was newish. I don’t assume that the nuclear family is the ultimate peak of social development. I also don’t believe that society is in any meaningful way “built” upon the nuclear family.

Well, ours is, and so is Western Culture in general.

Really? Do tell...

Take a look around. I think you are denying the obvious. What would you assert the foundation of our society is?

(snip)

   I don’t exactly know what reality you live in anymore, John (if I ever did), but I’ve got news for you - the Nuclear Family is a 20th C construct, and it is falling by the wayside. It is anything BUT the norm anymore.

I didn’t say it was the norm, just the foundation.

   While the majority of familes might meet your Perfect Family Mold, it’s only a matter of time (I say might because I am too lazy to look up the latest census figures).

I doubt it. Cultures with strong, nuclear families will overtake ones that don’t. Look at Europe. The Europeans, apparently, are too intellectual or secular or something to bother with procreating, and they are aging and f-f-fading away. All that props up their census is imigration and the procreation of those immigrants (and now for the good news-- those immigrants are predominantly Muslim). At this rate, Europe will be dominated by Muslims in 40 short years.

   All organisms “control” their destinies as much as they are able.

Pardon? “Control”? Animals have no control-- they are governed by instinct.

What an absolute load of BS.

What does govern animal behavior then, Tom? Reason? Ethics? Religion?

   Why is it human, and not e.g. canine, to suppress our “animal instincts”?

Animals can’t suppress instinct. We are able.

Even a lab rat can suppress instinct if given the right impetus.

A given impetus can stimulate a given instinct. There is no reasoning going on in the head of a rat.

   As usual, the vast majority of words coming out of your mouth in here stink of bovine-digested-grasses.

Must be the sour cream and chives dip I ate....

   Honestly, I find this equivocation of humans and animals disturbing. Say the last tiger alive on earth was attacking me and would indeed kill me if you didn’t kill it first. Would you?

It depends - would you also be the last other person in the world that I’d have to talk to? ;-)

You get my point.

JOHN