 Off-Topic / Debate / 24278
24277  |  24279
Subject:
Xenophobia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:50:21 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:

John wrote:

   As recently as three generations ago, the nuclear family as a self-contained unit was newish. I don’t assume that the nuclear family is the ultimate peak of social development. I also don’t believe that society is in any meaningful way “built” upon the nuclear family.

Well, ours is, and so is Western Culture in general.

Really? Do tell...

Take a look around. I think you are denying the obvious. What would you assert the foundation of our society is?

(snip)

   I don’t exactly know what reality you live in anymore, John (if I ever did), but I’ve got news for you - the Nuclear Family is a 20th C construct, and it is falling by the wayside. It is anything BUT the norm anymore.

I didn’t say it was the norm, just the foundation.

   While the majority of familes might meet your Perfect Family Mold, it’s only a matter of time (I say might because I am too lazy to look up the latest census figures).

I doubt it. Cultures with strong, nuclear families will overtake ones that don’t. Look at Europe. The Europeans, apparently, are too intellectual or secular or something to bother with procreating, and they are aging and f-f-fading away. All that props up their census is imigration and the procreation of those immigrants (and now for the good news-- those immigrants are predominantly Muslim). At this rate, Europe will be dominated by Muslims in 40 short years.

Your comment appears a little xenophobic. Even if you are right, what is the big deal about immigrants being Muslims?

Anyhow, in 40 years time your descendants’ 1st language will be Spanish. ;)

Scott A