 Off-Topic / Debate / 23570
23569  |  23571
Subject:
Richard Clarke
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:17:38 GMT

Richard Clarke Quotes: “Frankly, I find it outrageous that the president is running for re-election on the grounds that he’s done such great things about terrorism. He ignored it. He ignored terrorism for months, when maybe we could have done something to stop 9/11. Maybe. We’ll never know.”

…and my favourite: “Rumsfeld was saying that we needed to bomb Iraq... ...and we all said ... no, no. Al-Qaida is in Afghanistan. We need to bomb Afghanistan. And Rumsfeld said there aren’t any good targets in Afghanistan. And there are lots of good targets in Iraq.”

It would be funny if over 20,000 had not died.

The Guardian: Mr Clarke coordinated the writing of a report by the CIA, FBI, and his own staff, concluding that Iraq had few links with al-Qaida and no involvement in the September 11 attacks. He said: “We sent it up to the president and it got bounced by the national security adviser or deputy. It got bounced and sent back saying, ‘Wrong answer ... Do it again.’”

Scott A