 Off-Topic / Debate / 23548
    Marriage (was: Re: Yet another push for thoughtful legislation from Tennessee) —John Neal
   (...) When you speak about the issue in terms of contract recognition, sure it seems obvious. But doesn't this seem painfully obvious as well: men and women are not the same. The are not simply humans with irrelevant, interchangable reproduction (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

        Re: Marriage (was: Re: Yet another push for thoughtful legislation from Tennessee) —Wayne McCaul
     (...) Why? You keep saying that, but I don't to see *why* it's obvious. Can you spell out the real advantages of 1 man/1 woman? What, exactly, does it have over other unions that makes it the superior way of raising children? My experience with (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Marriage (was: Re: Yet another push for thoughtful legislation from Tennessee) —John Neal
     (...) First, I am not saying that 2 men or 2 women can't raise a family. What I am asking is: All things being equal, is it better that a child has a mother? All things being equal, is it better that a child has a father? Each sex is unique, each (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

        Re: Marriage (was: Re: Yet another push for thoughtful legislation from Tennessee) —Dave Schuler
     (...) I don't think it's so obvious, honestly. If the fundamental criterion for legal marriage is the possibility of childbirth, then non-fertile couples must not be allowed to wed. Similarly, if a wife and husband try unsuccessfully to conceive, (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

         Re: Marriage (was: Re: Yet another push for thoughtful legislation from Tennessee) —John Neal
     (...) Don't ask, don't tell;-) But seriously, privacy issues put that tack in irons. (...) If you want to argue that men and women are basically the same, bring it on;-D (...) Specious. You are comparing apples and oranges. Of course I'd never (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

         Re: Marriage (was: Re: Yet another push for thoughtful legislation from Tennessee) —Dave Schuler
     (...) Well, the last time I looked, they're pretty different in most cases. But my point is that the difference between men and women is not central to marriage. Therefore the difference between men and women cannot be used as a gatekeeper criterion (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

        Re: Marriage (was: Re: Yet another push for thoughtful legislation from Tennessee) —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) Yes but not necessarily relevant. (...) No. It's not at all obvious that is true. You'd have to prove it. But don't bother, because even if it were true, what of it? Marriage != Raising Children Ideal != Only Not Ideal != Should be Forbidden (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)