 Off-Topic / Debate / 23420
Re: Commanche helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:41:34 GMT

"Mladen Pejic" <mladenpejic@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:Htnx0M.4Ex@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Neb Okla wrote:

I'm not aware of any cases where military helicopters have been downed • by
handheld rifles and machine guns.

<http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/nation_world_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2420_25
75064,00.html
This> is one of the articles I found using Google.

Now, if the "armoured" Blackhawks and Apaches can be hurt by • shaped-charge
warheads, and 7.62mm+ calibre rounds, think what would happen if the • thin
skinned Commanche was struck by them?

I've never seen an "armored" helicopter.  They may offer some protection
against small arms fire, but any more than that and couldn't get off the
ground.

Armoured is a poor word on my part. I should have saied protected. For • example
the Boeing claims that the "Apache" is resistant to 12.7mm rounds, and • critical
areas can withstand 23mm rounds. Compare that with a "Cheyenne" from • Vietnam
which, according to this <http://www.g2mil.com/Comanche.htm article>, • could be
damaged even by AK47 fire.

Interesting that the helicopter cited in your Google article as being
brought down by "small arms fire" was an Apache. :)

I wonder which it is?  Could it be that the news report was overly generous
in their determination of what arms are "small", or is the Apache not
resistant to 12.7mm rounds?  I'm guessing the former.

...the article did describe a "hail" of gunfire though.  The smart thing to
do in that situation is to leave the area.