 Off-Topic / Debate / 23415
Re: Commanche helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:45:05 GMT

"Steven lane" <steveroblane@aol.com> wrote in message
news:Htnw4x.23p8@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Neb Okla wrote:

"Mladen Pejic" <mladenpejic@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane wrote:

No I didn't, Neb, you've cleaned out all my words but not my name, you • just need
to be a bit more careful with the >'s.

My apologies, I was responding to Scott A.

The RPG's seem to work though - and that's where a lot of the RAH-66 • funding
is supposedly going.  RPG/AA Missile defense systems for helicopters.

And there's no such system as an RPG missile defence system, but apart • from that
I liked your post.

While heat seeking missiles can be countered with more complex survivability
equipment such as
ATIRCM and SIRCM systems, mitigating RPG threat requires a little more
creativity and a different approach to using military hardware - but methods
that are already used in some branches of the armed forces.

One way to reduce lethality of an RPG strike is to add more advanced
ballistic protection into helicopters at the expense of mass, payload
capacity, and maneuverability.

Other techniques involve better pilot training to avoid the threats in the
first place - such as "running fire" techniques and other sophisticated
flying tactics.  If you hover, you die.

Another method of reducing the RPG threat is through active countermeasures
such as employment of suppressive fire.

Aircraft can also be retrofitted with damage tolerant gearboxes, redundant
systems, blast resistant self-healing fuel tanks, and "isolated" critical
components.

There are also acoustic early warning systems that can alert aircrews to
enemy ground fire.

These techniques and military hardware improvements amount to a highly
effective RPG missile defense system.