 Off-Topic / Debate / 23406
Re: Commanche helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:55:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Neb Okla wrote:

“Mladen Pejic” mladenpejic@sympatico.ca wrote in message news:HtLFG1.1nsJ@lugnet.com...
   In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane wrote:

Look at all the Blackhawks and Apaches that have been lost in Afghanistan and Iraq. A lot have been damaged by the simplest of weapons, namely the RPG-7 and assorted Kalashnikov rifles/machineguns.

I’m not aware of any cases where military helicopters have been downed by handheld rifles and machine guns.

This is one of the articles I found using Google.

The RPG’s seem to work though - and that’s where a lot of the RAH-66 funding is supposedly going. RPG/AA Missile defense systems for helicopters.

I dunno what this is about. Sorry. :-(

   Now, if the “armoured” Blackhawks and Apaches can be hurt by shaped-charge warheads, and 7.62mm+ calibre rounds, think what would happen if the thin skinned Commanche was struck by them?

I’ve never seen an “armored” helicopter. They may offer some protection against small arms fire, but any more than that and couldn’t get off the ground.

Armoured is a poor word on my part. I should have saied protected. For example the Boeing claims that the “Apache” is resistant to 12.7mm rounds, and critical areas can withstand 23mm rounds. Compare that with a “Cheyenne” from Vietnam which, according to this article, could be damaged even by AK47 fire.

The big problem with small arms fire is that the rounds may injure the crew.

Yeah.

Now, if you just unloaded on a chopper for a minute or two, you might be able to put enough fire on it to down it with small arms fire, but usually the pilots don’t hang around when they’re under fire.

The RPG’s can do enough damage in one go that they are a threat.

It seems like you’ve gained your firearms/helicopter threat info from movies.

Now I consider that an insult, but since you don’t seem to even know who I am (which you can improve by visiting my website or reading .build or .space), I’ll let it pass. :-)

For the record, I’m one of the last people to believe everything I see in movies, even ones that claim to be historically accurate.

Even the much lauded “Saving Private Ryan”, although a fine movie, had inaccuracies easily apparent to anyone who knows a thing or two about military hardware and tactics of WWII.

Mladen