 Off-Topic / Debate / 23235
  Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)

(...) I agree in the sense the government recognized marriage is useless. Marriage in the sense of 2 people deciding to spend the rest of their lives together and possibly raise offspring is fine. -Orion (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)

(...) With adoption, artificial insemination, host mothers, etc, it's hard to make the argument that "gay marriages can't produce progeny" a meaningful argument any more, in my view. Where I think we still have work to do is on the number... why (...) (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)

(...) I agree. Orion is almost implying that infertile individuals should not marry. ;) (...) You've not met my wife. ;) Scott A (...) (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)

(...) Why do you draw the line at 2 people? And for that matter, why not allow 6 year olds to marry if they decide to. Like I said, the law is never going to be perfect. I just don't see how the proposed modifications to current marriage laws make (...) (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)

(...) I read your post after I posted my reply to Orion, but I think we're almost on the same page here. I guess the difference is that I see the ongoing hacks to the marriage laws as doing more harm than good. However, we are rapidly approaching (...) (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)

(...) My contention I that we should do away with marriage laws all together. Government has no business dictating what does or does not constitute a marriage. This dicision is up to the individuals concerned and the life choice they decide to make. (...) (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)

(...) Ok. But what do you propose to replace the dependent support systems tied into those marriage laws you'd like to obliterate? Take your time because there's a lot of details that need to be worked out. Don (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)

(...) I, at least, would like you to enumerate a handful of these problems. I am now getting the feeling that I misinterpretted your concern (though I just posted a note based on my potential misunderstanding). Chris (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)

(...) OK. I think you're right... hacking isn't the right approach for the "final answer". however, as a hacker myself, there's value in hacking. If a few states go through various permutations on this (Ohio, I hear is about to do a very restrictive (...) (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)

(...) Your misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that I should wake up tomorrow and all the laws regarding marriage will be stricken from the books. Just as cutting off one's arm to stem a minor infection would be bad, so to would instantainiously (...) (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Skin (was: Re: Once again, etc.)

(...) Marriage is also a formal statement of interpersonal committment, and the legal recognition of marriage entitles the spouse to benefits and responsibilities not available to non-spouses. (...) No need for that; many same-sex couples already (...) (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)