 Off-Topic / Debate / 23121
Re: Babies who threaten to topple Israel?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:38:24 GMT

   Snipped everything I agreed with, leaving one little bitty bit...

   One reason is that the US provides massive funding and military support for Israel

yes... way too much. Asserted to be more than all the rest of the direct foreign aid budget combined but I don’t have a cite that I trust handy...

Indeed! Note: For every dollar that Washington spent on an African, it spent $250+ on an Israeli!

   but not for

Um, how many B USD a year do we give Egypt? One number I saw bandied about was 45B since we started... (again, no trustworthy cite handy)

Doh! Good call. Time for me to fall back on good ol’ fashioned Eurocentrism, in which Egypt is gathered under the umbrella of “quasi-European” nations rather than African or Middle Eastern states. Um, yeah. That’ll be convincing.

You both appear to be missing something. Read this: “There are many other costs of Israel to U.S. taxpayers, such as most or all of the $45.6 billion in U.S. foreign aid to Egypt since Egypt made peace with Israel in 1979 (compared to $4.2 billion in U.S. aid to Egypt for the preceding 26 years). U.S. foreign aid to Egypt, which is pegged at two-thirds of U.S. foreign aid to Israel, averages $2.2 billion per year.”

i.e. Egypt gets it’s aid because of Israel’s existence... not in spite of it! Up to ‘98 Egypt got $45.6 billion. Israel got $134,791,507,200 (exc inflation and inc interest payments) or $23,240 per citizen (Arabs and Christian get less than their fair share of this as Israel is a “Jewish State”).

Now read this: “friends of Israel never tire of saying that Israel has never defaulted on repayment of a U.S. government loan. It would be equally accurate to say Israel has never been required to repay a U.S. government loan.

and this: “In addition, there is the more than $1.5 billion in private U.S. funds that go to Israel annually in the form of $1 billion in private tax-deductible donations and $500 million in Israeli bonds. The ability of Americans to make what amounts to tax-deductible contributions to a foreign government, made possible through a number of Jewish charities, does not exist with any other country.”

and this: “It would be interesting to know how many of those American taxpayers believe they and their families have received as much from the U.S. Treasury as has everyone who has chosen to become a citizen of Israel. But it’s a question that will never occur to the American public because, so long as America’s mainstream media, Congress and president maintain their pact of silence, few Americans will ever know the true cost of Israel to U.S. taxpayers.”

The liberal media strikes again!

   How much do we spend to prop up the Saudi government by defending them?

It is pretty clear why Bush supports the Saudi government; the real question is why does he support Israel?

Scott A

Prop up? Haven’t you heard that the Saudis are valuable allies in furthering our goal of the democatization of the Middle East?

   How much do we give the Palestinian Authority?

Seriously, I hadn’t considered that part, but I thought that the amount was a relative pittance compared to what Israel receives. Either way it’s even dumber to fund both sides of a conflict than to fund only one!

Dave!