 Off-Topic / Debate / 22835
Re: Message awaiting authentication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:54:40 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I think you need Todd to speak to why he has chosen to make the
technology decisions he has, assuming he wants to speak to it, but
he chose not to support standard NNTP before. If he doesn't speak to
it, that's his perogative.

Actually, that's what I was hoping for when I asked the question.
For Todd to think about it for a few seconds and then decide if there
was possibly a way to make an improvement to lugnet without a whole
lot of effort.

Instead I got you, telling me it's not even needed
because it works just fine for you.

Where did I say that? I can think of a host of things I'd like to see added (and
have made suggestions about them in the past) and I would in no way equate my
saying

"I'm not someone that says that a private service has to accomodate all users,
so while I'm sympathetic to this person's situation,the existance of such a
situation is not a blank check on someone else's coding time, in my view."

(that's the part you cut away and the part I assume is closest to what you
allege I said without citing it)

with "it's not needed".

Lots of things are wanted or needed. The existence of need is not an automatic
granting of the goods needed to satisfy it.

That's so selfish.

OK. I'm fine with that assessment (of words I didn't actually say). Except that
you say it like it's a bad thing.

Lugnet
works great for me too, but that doesn't mean all improvements
should cease just because I'm happy.

Another straw dog.

But using a metric of what percentage of the desired audience is reasonably
happy with something is in my view a pretty good one when trying to evaluate
where to put development effort. I have no idea how Todd prioritizes his work (I
hope it's based on what makes HIM happy) but software projects tend to
prioritize based on needs of users, ne?

In the universe of possible improvements to LUGNET is this the most pressing? I
dunno.

Anyhow, I set FUT to debate since we're way past the suggestion
part of this thread.

Not sure I agree but OK.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Likewise.