 Administrative / Suggestions / 796
Re: Message awaiting authentication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:56:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.faq, Neb Okla wrote:
I don't want to use the web client.  It's clunky.

With NNTP, I can read posts offline, choose my NNTP client (thus finding a
UI that is right for me), etc.

I also know that Lugnet members have a username and password.  One would
wonder then why the NNTP service simply doesn't require a user to login?

Good question.  Are NNTP passwords transmitted in plain text?  Perhaps
that's the reason it's not been implemented on lugnet.  Or maybe it's
because they want to allow non members in via NNTP.  If that's the case,
why not allow members in with a password via a different port?

I know this can be done, because I operate one such NNTP server and
it keeps the Spam and bad people out, and also doesn't require
cumbersome "approval" messages for every post.

Then perhaps revisiting this discussion will produce a solution for
NNTP users.  Keep talking.

Perhaps a clever coder could screenscrape LUGNET's web interface to
give posting capabilities from their own private NNTP server fed article
stream? (perhaps supplied by the "avid" technology or something? I dunno)
Meaning that the screenscraper logged the user in, did the post, and then
logged out or similar?

I think a sufficiently clever coder could have done it by now if there
was a large perceived need.

You're missing the point Larry.  NNTP is a well supported, standardized
interface.  Because of this, there are many very nice already existing
NNTP clients.  (I remember using EMACS to read NNTP news while editing
code perhaps 20 years ago).  Standardized interfaces are good.  Weird,
one of a kind, screenscraping apps are nifty, but bad.

Just a short while ago there was a visually impaired guy on RTL looking
for help building old lego sets.  Lugnet is probably closed to him because
of the web interface and the non-standard NNTP password authentication
scheme used here.  A more impressive feat for your clever coder would be
to come up with a scheme that works, using the standard NNTP protocol
so that guy can continue to use his NNTP to speach or braille device
*and* participate on lugnet.  I'm still wondering if this could be
accomplished by simply using a different NNTP port number for standard
password protected NNTP.

Don