 Administrative / Suggestions / 797
Re: Message awaiting authentication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:01:53 GMT

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Don Heyse wrote:

Just a short while ago there was a visually impaired guy on RTL looking
for help building old lego sets.  Lugnet is probably closed to him
because of the web interface and the non-standard NNTP password
authentication scheme used here.  A more impressive feat for your clever
coder would be to come up with a scheme that works, using the standard
NNTP protocol so that guy can continue to use his NNTP to speach or
braille device *and* participate on lugnet.

I don't get this.  The LUGNET limitation would be that posting setup is
HTTP-based, but I think it's all text, really.  After that, HTTP is an
*option*, but you can get by (better, IMHO) with SMTP or SMTP and NNTP.
I'm not seeing how someone who can do NNTP would have trouble with
SMTP---heck, I use the same client for both[1].

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/tws/

[1] Yes, I know I should use Mutt, but Pine does just fine for me. . .