 Off-Topic / Debate / 22189
Re: Intellectual Property Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 03:25:04 GMT

For purposes of this discussion, let's posit that music companies *have* the
right to control distribution and to make copies of their products, and also
that the consumer is granted the "fair use" right to make personal copies of
purchased music.  For purposes of this discussion, file-sharing systems like
Grokster, the late Napster, et al, are expressly excluded.

I bought a CD earlier this year at a retailer and have listened to it frequently
since then.  A week or so ago I noticed that the disc has suffered some kind of
incurable damage that makes playback, duplication, or repair impossible.
However, a friend happens to have purchased this same CD from the same retailer,
and his copy works fine.  Since I have paid for a single copy of the disc, am I
legally entitled to make a duplicate of my friend's CD?  Or have I merely
purchased the right to own and make personal copies of one particular disc,
meaning that my right to the CD is voided when the disc breaks?  For that
matter, if the latter is the case, can I still retain my own burned copy of the
disc after the original is lost, or must I destroy that copy?

Isn't the whole point of making a copy so you can still use the material even if
the original is damaged. Unless the record company can prove you did not
purchase the CD in the first place they should not have a case against you.

Just wondering.  I maintain a pretty strict interpretation of intellectual
property protections and fair use, so I'm particularly intrigued by discussions
along these lines.  Thanks for your input.

I think the real reason the recording industry is freaking out about file
sharing is because people can actually listen to the stuff before purchasing the
CDs. That means people aren't going to buy the crap anymore. Of couse they
started all of this because the [rate of increase] in sales is lower than they
expected. Hmmm, couldn't have anything to do with the economy now could it.

-Mike Petrucelli