 Off-Topic / Debate / 22221
Re: Intellectual Property Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 06:38:41 GMT

richard marchetti wrote:

Tom:

I suppose you realize you could just download these two songs, right?

Yes, I do, generally by installing software on my system that has no business being
on there, and often is exceedingly hard to later remove.

The RIAA
has specifically targeted uploaders, not downloaders. The theory is that it is
possible to have a need, not unlike you own, that might make downloading a song
a legitimate activity.  Of course, hardly anyone could have a legitimate purpose
in uploading the songs to possibly thousands of users.

If you acquire an MP3 of high enough quality you can "uncompress" or "decode"
the song back into a raw audio format. I think that would be enough to support
your stated needs.

Yes, I know, but I'd prefer CDA tracks, even if they are rather large.  I'd rather
burn a exact copy than a compressed/decompressed copy.

FWIW, I don't think I've ever tried copying raw CDA tracks as such.  Most
applications want to rip the tracks to wav or to encode them to another file
format. Most cd-burning software will convert wav or MP3 to cda on the fly for
the purpose of burning an audio disk.

Lots of burner programs will do direct burns of CDAs.  I'm pretty sure one of the
programs I have will allow me to do an image of the bad CD, then copy in the good
track, then burn it.  If not, I'll download one from somewhere.

Getting back to the theory side of things...

...But what if I already have a digital copy, doesn't the Music Industry seem to
be
suggesting that they have the right to keep making me buy different kinds of
digital copies? Like your situation, Tom -- isn't the suggestion that since you
didn't create a backup copy when you had the chance (i.e. when the CDs that have
since become damaged were still in pristine condition), that you are now
forbidden from obtaining such a backup from someone else?

I'd hope not.  But if you think I'm going to write the record companies asking them
to replace my CD for free, since I already bought the license...I'm not THAT dense
;-)

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/