 Off-Topic / Debate / 22219
Re: Intellectual Property Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 02:32:16 GMT

Tom:

I suppose you realize you could just download these two songs, right? The RIAA has specifically targeted uploaders, not downloaders. The theory is that it is possible to have a need, not unlike you own, that might make downloading a song a legitimate activity. Of course, hardly anyone could have a legitimate purpose in uploading the songs to possibly thousands of users.

If you acquire an MP3 of high enough quality you can “uncompress” or “decode” the song back into a raw audio format. I think that would be enough to support your stated needs.

FWIW, I don’t think I’ve ever tried copying raw CDA tracks as such. Most applications want to rip the tracks to wav or to encode them to another file format. Most cd-burning software will convert wav or MP3 to cda on the fly for the purpose of burning an audio disk.

Getting back to the theory side of things...

I am pretty sure I have a Chicago’s greatest hits LP on vinyl. Is there really a legitimate purpose in prohibiting me from downloading the tracks as MP3? Sure, I could rip them myself -- it’s a bit of a hassle from vinyl but I have done it for lots of things that will never see distribution as a CD. The point is it can be done -- so does the Music Industry have a legitimate right to limit me to an analogue recording only or do I also have the right to a digital copy should I choose to download or create one?

More and more, I see various industries creeping towards subscription style services, or even a subscription style service “attitude” without the actual service. The idea seems to be to make the consumer buy the same material again and again in different formats.

Backtracking a little here, I can see where the Music Industry would see my wanting a free copy of a digital recording as unfair when my original copy is analogue. The digital copy is an added value for someone that purchased the material recently, and who also paid a premium for that added value.

But what if I already have a digital copy, doesn’t the Music Industry seem to be suggesting that they have the right to keep making me buy different kinds of digital copies? Like your situation, Tom -- isn’t the suggestion that since you didn’t create a backup copy when you had the chance (i.e. when the CDs that have since become damaged were still in pristine condition), that you are now forbidden from obtaining such a backup from someone else?

Depending on how DRM is implemented, isn’t the suggestion that you don’t have the right to convert from one file format to another? I understand that CD-like disks have just been released to the U.S. market that WILL NOT play on a computer -- they are specifically designed to fail if an attempt is made to play them on a computer. Basically, the consumer is cheated in two ways there: one, they cannot digitally transfer the material to another perhaps more convenient format; and two, the failure to make the disks PC compatible means there is no easy way to create a backup. Again, forcing you to buy another copy should this copy become damaged.

-- Hop-Frog