 Off-Topic / Debate / 22210
Re: Intellectual Property Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:54:52 GMT

Yeah, those are all good questions...

Capitalism is dead too, though.

I have given it long and serious thought and there’s a very good reason that Roddenberry never really investigated the economy of the future in Star Trek -- the main thing is that capitalism will not work with the number of people on earth today, much less the numbers of people to come. I think we are getting very near the crunch between population expansion and available work. There was a two-part Star Trek DS9 episode that dealt with this possible problem. A bad sign of things to come is this article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,4758235-103677,00.html

Edit: I posted about this the other day actually...here: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=22184

I was reading a comment somewhere the other day on how the extreme wealth of someone like Bill Gates is predicated on the man-hours of others -- that Gates uniquely benefits at the expense of his employees’ man-hours and from artificially inflated product prices paid by consumers (also paying in time, or man-hours). I think these considerations are what’s missing from economic discourse today. It’s not just what the market will bear, but also a question of what is exchanged for the acquistition of certain experiences or goods. It’s a question of value.

Most people probably don’t think this way, but when you buy something maybe the issue shouldn’t be immediately abstracted into dollars -- instead maybe you should consider everything in terms of your own man-hours. The new Snowspeeder set is supposed to be $130 USD or so. How long does it take you to earn that much money? 30 minutes? An hour? Two Hours? Four Hours? A whole day? Etc.

Lots of things seem overpriced when you start to think in terms of value in man-hours.

Now consider how you live and how it comes to be that you live in that manner and style. Is it fair? Is there some way that you are cheating someone else, perhaps on the other side of the planet, out of their man-hours? I mean, it doesn’t have to be a conscious choice -- maybe that person is being cheated out of his man-hours because of the political situation where he is living. Just don’t pretend that you are not benefitting from that fact.

-- Hop-Frog