 Off-Topic / Debate / 22188
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 03:09:23 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

snip

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=22112

And yet you still have not addressed the post linked above. Throughout history there has never been a democracy where the citizenry was unarmed. Even in Canada, Britian, and Austrailia you still have armed citizenries. Nixion left office, my right to vote, politicians obeying the durration of their terms, etc. occur becuase the people have the ability to force it, not because we have to force it.

-Mike Petrucelli

I’ve been addressing it from the beginning--An armed citizenry is not needed *today*. I’ve talked with my local MPP, I’ve spoken with other politicians at various levels of political power (Haven’t had a chance to talk to the big JC yet, but, eh, whatrya gonna do) and since my ‘topic du jour’ is guns, that’s where the conversation usually goes.

Not one of them “leave their seats” because they fear getting shot. Ever. Run a poll. Ask ‘em. Go ahead. Until you come up with *any* concrete rationale for this, it’s a wispy notion of a long dead ideal.

The opinions of a handful of politicians are irrelavent (as if they would be honest about it anyway.) You (and your politicians) can believe whatever hippy notions you want about the power of the people, but the real power of the people comes from their superiority of force over the government.

If you want a medical example, cutting off your leg to save the finger isn’t appropos--a better one is someone walking around with a ruptured appendix saying, “Don’t operate because there was once a time when it served a vital and useful function!”

We can, right now, go to the grave sites of eleven thousand of your fellow Americans who died in a violent gun homicide in one year. We can read their obituaries. We can visit the morgue and see them. We can weep with 11 thousand families.

Disarming law abiding citizens through gun control laws has no proven effect on the crime rate. So you are only trying to save one’s little finger by suggesting chopping one’s legs off. What would happen is one would still lose the finger but have nothing to support him in the process.

And you come up with some notion that somehow at some time you *may* need a gun to protect your rights? Some wispy vague idea that hasn’t been needed in this, or the previous century? Some false pretense in order to justify you having a gun in your house? Go to the family of a person who was just killed violently (should be 30 just today) at the business end of a gun and tell them. Tell them your reasons for keeping a gun in your house.

And don’t start talking about Canada and other countries as if that helps your point. Canadian gun owners don’t buy into the lies that having guns in their homes “maintain the freedom”. We didn’t need guns in 1867, and we sure didn’t need guns in 1982.

But you had the ability to use them, that’s all that was necessary.

   We’re not indoctorined and brain washed with the ‘high ideals’ of ‘outta my cold dead hands’ and ‘brain lead’.

And that is why, every single year, Canada, as well as the other countries you mentioned, will have less violent gun related deaths per capita than Americans. We don’t idealize the gun. We don’t worhip it, and we sure don’t write off the deaths of our fellow citizen with some baseless arguement.

The blood of the dead are on the hands of those that abuse freedom to commit acts of evil. It has nothing to do with the availability of guns. Gun control is about control not guns.

-Mike Petrucelli