 Off-Topic / Debate / 21999
Re: Moore foolishness than ever
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:56:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:

I take it, from your exegesis of the Amendment, that you'd have no problem with
a state legislature outlawing Christianity, am I correct?  Or how about a state
legislature that requires Scientology to be taught at every level of public
education?  Neither of these is Congress, so you must support their right to
enact such laws.

This might seem like a red herring, but there's a point:  Do you support the
right of the government, outside of Congress, to give official endorsement of a
religion?

noone has challenged the U.S. Dept. of Treasury for including the phrase "In
God We Trust" on every piece of U.S. currency, or public schools for having
students recite the phrase "...one nation, under god..." every morning.
Well, except the 9th District, but I seriously doubt we should start looking
to them for profound insight on Constitutional interpretation, given the
frequency of their rulings being overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court.

It appears that you're saying no one has objected to these religious
endorsements, except for the people who've objected to these religious
endorsements.  Am I correct?

     Dave!