 Off-Topic / Debate / 21997
Re: Moore foolishness than ever
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 04:40:01 GMT

   I’ve resisted introducing this topic because we’ve been over it before, and the main issue is, to me, entirely resolved and crystal clear. But Roy Moore still keeps going on about his unconstitutional monument to his hubris.

Ahem. There is only one item in the Constitution of the United States that has any direct bearing on this as a religious matter, and that’s the First Amemdment. To quote the appropriate section:

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”

Let me repeat that, in case you didn’t catch it the first time around:

“Congress (he’s a judge, not a congress) shall make no law (he was not attempting to make any laws that I’m aware of) respecting an establishment of religion (while this is obviously seen as a State vs. Christian matter, it should be pointed out that the Ten Commandments also apply to Judaism and Islam), or prohibiting the free exercise thereof (and this technically counts as his “free exercise thereof”)”

Now, whether he is legally allowed to install a monument (secular or religious) in the middle of the courthouse without first obtaining permission (even if only from his fellow judges) is a different matter, but his action wasn’t particularly unconstitutional. People in this country have a long history of misinterpreting the 1st Amendment to mean that anyone on a government payroll is not legally allowed to admit knowledge of or participation in any religion while “on the clock”, but it’s really only intended to prevent Congress from suppressing any religions, either by making laws directly against them, or by requiring everyone to join some sort of State Church. Notice that any inclusion of any image of Jesus, list of the Ten Commandments, or any other similar icon instantly causes a giant fuss about the “seperation of church and state” or about how they’re “unconstitutional”, but noone has challenged the U.S. Dept. of Treasury for including the phrase “In God We Trust” on every piece of U.S. currency, or public schools for having students recite the phrase “...one nation, under god...” every morning. Well, except the 9th District, but I seriously doubt we should start looking to them for profound insight on Constitutional interpretation, given the frequency of their rulings being overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court.