 Off-Topic / Debate / 21993
21992  |  21994
Subject:
Moore foolishness than ever
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:22:42 GMT

I’ve resisted introducing this topic because we’ve been over it before, and the main issue is, to me, entirely resolved and crystal clear. But Roy Moore still keeps going on about his unconstitutional monument to his hubris.

So what’s the deal? Here’s a judge who willfully, publicly, and expensively flauts the law of the land, yet he would presumably still declare himself an authority in dispensing justice to those who would come before his court. Although he has been suspended, and rightly so, how can he claim any moral authority after he himself has directly violated the law?

I don’t have any means to assess the sincerity of his faith (though I admit that he does seem to protest too much). I also don’t care if he wants to erect a 10-ton monument on private property. But for an officer of the court to enshrine a religion this way in the public arena is anathema to the Constitution. For that matter, I think his argument that the decalogue is the “moral foundation” of our legal system is specious at best; I can’t seem to find the Constitutional Amendment about “honoring my father and mother” or enjoining me to “keep holy the Lord’s day.” And where’s the one about coveting my neighbor’s wife?

Dave!