 Off-Topic / Debate / 21998
Re: Moore foolishness than ever
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:50:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   but noone has challenged the U.S. Dept. of Treasury for including the phrase “In God We Trust” on every piece of U.S. currency

The currency itself is unconstitutional. And if only it were the Dept. of the Treasury issuing the “coin” of our realm -- instead it is issued by the Federal Reserve. Not the same thing at all. See the U.S. Constitution Art. I, sections 8 and 10. Check out this phrase: “To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures” -- that doesn’t sound like paper to me. Why would you need weights and measures for paper?

We are now a nation of moneychangers!

That’s all a digression, but yours was a bad example to be sure.

   public schools for having students recite the phrase “...one nation, under god...” every morning.

There’s a very tedious history behind this “pledge.” The prayer is not the original one concocted by Bellamy, see: http://www.crf-usa.org/Foundation_docs/Foundation_lesson_pledge

If you happen to be Xtian try this bit on for size (a pledge is very like an oath):

Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God’s throne: Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil. -- Matthew 5:33-37

I find it strange that so many Xtians are in favor of oaths and pledges in which they invoke god’s name, when they have basically been told not to do so! Isn’t pledging allegiance to a flag a double-whammy? It’s both idolatrous and oath-like.

Anyway, the bigger point is that by favoring the establishment of one kind of religion, or religious act, the govt. would be excluding others by implication -- and that is why it is generally not done and is not favored by the courts. Religious freedom was a foundational principle of this country, why sully it now with favoring Xtianity? It ain’t broke -- why fix it?

I expect Dave! will have more to say on this, so I leave it there for now...

-- Hop-Frog