 Off-Topic / Debate / 21984
Re: You don't like what I like - you are a.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 01:57:55 GMT

   -people who call other people idiots are idiots!

I can’t argue with that. I really should have very carefully qualified that first statement and probably omitted the word idiot (yeah, probably). Far from being an idiot, Terry often has off-topic.debate opinions and ideas that I respect and with which I almost always agree. I should think he would know that, and he probably does.

And I don’t actually insist that people like what I like, I just think that they could tolerate what I like a little better because it’s not just me, it’s more like dozens of us - to a lesser or greater degree from one another.

Dave! made what I thought was a fairly reasonable request, and he made it in a very polite and agreeable manner. Terry came along with what I thought was a slightly harshly worded reply, and however much it may have included smiley emoticons I think the words stung slightly. That said, you’d think I would have chosen my words my more carefully -- but sadly, no.

Slightly further down, Richard Parsons made statements that further cemented my conviction that something true and unsavory had been revealed for the nth time about our little online community: the weird and over-stressed dislike of clones and the somewhat reflexive and objectionable rejection of clone users.

Larry, a huge enthusiast for the brick, apparently maintains a reasonably open mind and apparent high level of tolerance as regards clone-brands. It is clear from his own statements from time to time that he at least experiments with and maintains what is at least a modest collection of clone elements. Probably much like myself, Larry sees an interest in clones as deeply connected to his interest in bricks generally. Unlike myself, Larry appears to be disinclined to actually use clones in his MOCs.

Of course, I use clone elements almost indifferently in my own MOCs -- esp, when it comes to unique elements. I have no opposition whatever to mixing and matching bricks in my own collection.

We all know that TLC branded bricks are numero uno, and that no one comes quite within reach of the overall excellence of TLC products. But the clone-brands do add value to our hobby, both by keeping TLC on it’s toes and by producing some excellent elements in between the cracks -- the spaces in the element market where TLC hasn’t seen fit to completely fill in the gaps in terms of what could be devised. For this reason you will find many of us using some level of clone bricks within our designs. Sometimes because the clone elements are undeniably superior to what TLC offers instead, and at other times because TLC doesn’t even make the precise element in any case.

Clones abound in the main the main groups when it comes to minifigure accessories -- really, it’s an undeniable fact and also not my fault. Those clone elements are out there and they are EVERYWHERE.

Sure, some might be “disappointed” that the design is not 100% TLC bricks, but in the end who really cares? Surely they do not really care enough to stop Dave! from posting his MOC announcements in the main lugnet forums, with followups to off-topic. And while Dave! himself did open the discussion to all opinions, only the opinion of an admin should prevent him from such cross-postings to the “Announcements” group. And such is probably the actual case. It just remains to be seen if Dave! will be bold enough to do it and thereby test the matter. I think adding a notation about the clones elements used will but add to the interest of the subject when he gets around to doing this.

So I am not saying that others have to do as I do, but merely to respect that I do as I do without regard for their possible opinions as to brick purity. At the same time I think those same people could keep their opinions about my own and others’ use of clones to a low murmur. Fine, you do it with 100% pure TLC bricks -- those of us that choose to, or that must, use clones should still be respected for the decision we have made.

Opinions regarding the actual design of the MOC in question are more to the purpose of this site. Just putting someone down because they are using clone elements is wholly uninteresting. Try putting them down because their actual MOC designs suck! :)

As it stands, Y’all are currently missing some of the great things previously relegated to the small corner of lugnet called “off-topic.clone-brands.” and while it can be nice to keep things tidy newsgroup-wise, there’s little other purpose served by maintaining these false divisions.

-- Hop-Frog