 Off-Topic / Debate / 21981
Re: You don't like what I like - you are a.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:10:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Papenfuss wrote:

<snip>

Why do some people put on such a fight about changing peoples mind about
something when it really does not effect them? Why must people waste their time
and effort on things such as this?

Mark P

Where did I hear this--if everyone sang the same tune, did the same thing, etc,
it would be monotony.

When people do their own thing, and we all do different things, it can be
cacaphony, but most times it's harmony.

I'd hate it if we're all the same.

I try to prioritize things--it's a sliding scale I know, but, for example, if
someone wants to smoke, I really don't care.  I won't start smoking, but I also
won't look with disdain on those who do.  It's hypocriticalness at its finest
when 'rehabilitated' smokers become militant anti-smokers.

I don't care if you get fallen down drunk, either.  If you get behind a wheel of
a car, though, that's when you become a concern on my scale.

I personally have no problem with eating meat products.  I love my Wendy
burgers.  That said, if someone gets upset by me eating burgers, then I just
won't do it around them.  If we happen to be at the same gathering, then I'll
wing it--either not eat meat or not do so flauntingly.

When it comes to politics it gets a little more 'shades of grey'.  If someone
supports policies that run contrary to my liking, it all depends on what these
policies are.  Say, for example, someone supports a warmongering moron in power,
then I won't hesitate to point out the sheer lunacy of that support.  However,
if someone supports a party that wants to change the speed limits whereas I
don't want the limits changed, why get in a huff?  Discuss sure, but it's not as
if you're supporting killings and bombings of innocent civilians and such.

I won't support abortion clinics.  I live my life such that I won't put a woman
in a position where she has to use one, either.  That said, I won't prevent
others from using said clinics.  I wouldn't want folks to interfere in my life
decisions, why would I interfere in other folks right to run their lives?

And, not to bring it 'on-topic' but it was the question you posed, I sort thru
any 'garage sale' buys or other non-new sources of bricks coming into my house
for non-LEGO pieces and I take them out.  I hope that my collection is 100
percent pure LEGO.  I then give the other pieces to friends/family who have
kids. and want the pieces.  I don't care--I'm not morally opposed to other brick
manufactureres, but I won't suppport them directly with my money.  It's like
supporting your home team (go Leafs go!)  I'm a LEGO user and I'm happy with
that.  Sure I look thu the aisles at the store and see that 'way cool' set from
the other companies, but I'm not interested in purchasing.

I support other peoples uses of the clone brand.  I love the apocryphal
Blacktron stuff--its really sweet to look at.  Do I want to get my hands on said
pieces?  Not really.

Anyway, it's a rounda bout way of saying that there are issues worth getting you
knickers in a knot over--people dieing would top that list.  Whether folks use
clone brands or not doesn't even come close to anywhere near a 'get in your
face' attitude.

At least for me, anyway.

Then again, I'm a Trekkie, not a Trekker, and I'll jump up and down about that
one! :)

Dave K