 Off-Topic / Debate / 21982
Re: You don't like what I like - you are a.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:43:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
But I do not understand why some people must attack everything and everybody
who does not share the same likes as they do. There are people here on Lugnet
for example that call people 'idiots' and all other sorts of names for not
sharing their like for something.

Why is this?

I call it the 'movie critic' or 'Bay Area Radio Talk Show Host' syndrome, a
malady suffered generally by bright and witty people who cannot resist short
quips and zingers, even though the resulting posts are less than tactful.  The
small handful of people I have seen here and on the BrickLink forum who suffer
this syndrome (Richard is not the only one) are actually very pleasant people
otherwise-- it's just that they have a low resistance to being set up for
scathing retorts and glib commentary to get their opinions across.

Unfortunately I have never seen a recipient of this kind of treatment become
sympathetic to the viewpoint of the zinger.  BTW it is one thing to take offense
at a blanket statement such as 'LEGO purists are idiots.'  Even worse is when
something you specifically have said or done gets singled out for attack.  It's
the flies with vinegar thing all over again.

But then, this is just the humble opinion of an agnostic member of the Green
Party who would be a vegetarian but I cook for omnivores and it's just not that
big a deal.

Maggie C.