 Off-Topic / Debate / 21880
  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations

(...) So I expect to never, ever hear the phrase "liberal media" out of you, right, since it sided with Bush? :-) "We all know that election laws don't matter when Democrats are on the losing side..." Okay, back that up. Give some examples. As to (...) (21 years ago, 14-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations

(...) No matter how hard I try, I can't swallow conspiracy theories--including "liberal media." It's too ingrained in human nature to blab for any conspiracy to long endure! I believe that the media is largely composed of liberals (just check (...) (21 years ago, 15-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations

(...) I think you misunderstand me: the term "liberal media" is used to try and claim a bias in news reporting against conservatives. That's it - it's not a term dependent on there being a specific organized conspiracy. You are effectively using the (...) (21 years ago, 15-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations

(...) Don't take my word for it--try reading Bernard Goldberg's book Bias. I don't think anyone can make any persuasive argument for Goldberg being conservative. He details from personal experience what happens when one questions the way that news (...) (21 years ago, 15-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations

(...) Okay, but only if you acknowledge that "liberal media" is demonstrably false, while Dubya's "tax cuts for the rich" is demonstrably true. Dave! (21 years ago, 15-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations

(...) One book may be a revelation, or it could be a disgruntled whiner. It may be correct for the situation he was in, but not for the industry at large. It may even be correct for the industry at large, but by itself, it would be hard to draw that (...) (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations

(...) True, but it's very difficult to refute Goldberg's claims in the book. He makes several good points, such as: 1) Why conservatives are always labelled and liberals are not, e.g., why it's always "conservative" Antonin Scalia but never (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations

(...) Virtually all of the Supreme Court justices have a liberal, conservative or morderate label attached to them, so it seems I have easily refuted Goldberg in all of a few seconds. As to Tribe, who is not a member of the Supreme Court, and thus (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations

First, an apology: real life interferes with a lengthier reply on your message on things that we will never agree on; sorry for the lengthy snips. In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote: (lengthy snip) (...) Hear, hear! (...) Many (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations

(...) It is perfectly okay. It was indeed, getting to be a lot. (...) There! We don't have to agree to disagree! We can agree to agree. (...) Oh, hey, does this mean I've lost my standing in the international Hubris Society? ;-) (...) Teddy was (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Newsbits: CA Recall and IMF-Argentina Negotiations

(...) Sure is. I mean no disrespect by not replying to all of your original message, and will do so still if you feel it's worthwhile--but I get the feeling the horse we're beating may be a little beyond dead! (...) I was thinking last night about (...) (21 years ago, 20-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)